babyhippoface's Reviews > Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!

Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator! by Mo Willems

282057
May 18, 11

bookshelves: kids-picture-books, humor
Read in May, 2011

Elephant & Piggie are the Lucy & Ethel of beginning readers. Cat the Cat has pre-readers covered, and now Amanda and Alligator slide next to the newly-completed Trixie and Knuffle Bunny trilogy on the shelf as Mo's best new read-aloud. There is no way I can not love a book with a line like this:

Amanda was reading her library book You Can Make It Yourself:
Jet Packs!
when she noticed her alligator chewing on her head.

Perfect. And there is no way a kid can not keep turning pages in a book that contains a line like that.

I have said it before, and apparently I will keep saying it: Mo Willems is a children's literature genius. I read this book to myself in the bookstore and laughed out loud. At least three times. I put it back on the shelf, because I knew I already had one copy on order for the school, and turned to leave. Then I turned around and pulled it back off the shelf because I knew I had to have my own copy. Because I had to share it with other people so I could watch them enjoy the genius that is Mo.

I took it home and handed it to my sixteen-year-old daughter. She laughed out loud. At least three times. Then she posted the line I typed above as her latest Facebook status. Proof positive that Mo knows how to appeal to all ages.

The words are funny (i.e., the titles of the books Amanda checks out from the library). The pictures are funny (i.e., pouncing alligator wearing his Old Thinking Cap; annoyed alligator staring down new panda with one word: "Whatever.").

I should've ordered three library-bound copies of this one, because kids will never let it sit on the shelf. I can hardly wait to share it with kids, and to see what's next for Amanda and her alligator. Long Live Mo....
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!.