Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)'s Reviews > Radiant Darkness

Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman

Jun 12, 11

bookshelves: owned-hardcover
Read from June 09 to 11, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I said it once, actually more than once, but I’ll say it again: I just love re-tellings! I love it when authors turn the bad guys to good; turning their characters and their stories into a deeper and more interesting tale that feels so sweet and intriguing.

How sweet was this tale! I’ve known about Hades and Persephone’s story but I never really gave it that much consideration. And reading Radiant Darkness has let me see a whole new side to the story.

During the first few pages I have to admit that it was kind of annoying to read about Persephone’s life while she lives with her mother, Demeter. She was basically the kid who wants to grow up and her over-protective mother couldn’t or wouldn’t see that years have been passing by and her daughter’s no longer a little girl. It was a bit of a cliché but I gave it a shot. And, boy, am I glad I did. As the story progressed, Radiant Darkness just grew on me. And I found myself loving it in the end.

I was awed with how Whitman was able to incorporate the original mythological tale, not missing one bit of detail, of Hades and Persephone and twist it into something that runs deeper than it was evidently told.

I can definitely say that this book is a memorable one. It may be light but the subtlety of it made it interesting and enjoyable. Really refreshing!

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radiant Darkness.

06/09/2011 page 1