Jennifer Estep's Reviews > Bloodshot

3197948
Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in February, 2011

Bloodshot by Cherie Priest is the first book in her urban fantasy series about vampire and world-renowned thief Raylene Pendle.

Raylene is a loner, a vampire who keeps to herself and spends her time stealing objects -- for the right price. But when a blind vampire named Ian Stott comes to her, Raylene can't help but get involved in his messy situation. Ian asks Raylene to find and steal some documents relating to vicious experiments that were performed on Ian by the U.S. government. Ian hopes that by retrieving his medical records that he can get his sight restored. Soon, Raylene is caught up in a government conspiracy -- and finds that the feds are after her in hopes of making her their next science experiment ...

I love books about thieves, and I enjoyed Bloodshot. Raylene is a great snarky, sassy heroine, and her voice is definitely the best thing about the book. She's tough, vulnerable, and likable at the same time. I also liked Priest's world building, although we don't get to see any other vamps besides Raylene and Ian. Plus, the secondary characters are entertaining as well, especially a drag queen that Raylene befriends as she crisscrosses the country, searching for clues as to who is after her and why. I also hope we get to see more of the guy who gives Raylene her assignments in the next book.

Watching Raylene break into various government buildings while trying to stay one step ahead of the feds was also entertaining, and Raylene doesn't shy away from violence or her vampire nature when she needs to.

The one thing that bugged me about the book was the ending. There's a nice twist at the end that reveals just how the feds were keeping tabs on Raylene and her friends, but nothing is really resolved. A few of the bad guys get what's coming to them, but the book definitely leaves several questions unanswered. I know Priest is doing this to set up the next book in the series, but I would have liked just a little bit more closure.

Overall, if you're looking for an entertaining urban fantasy to try, check this one out. It was a fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodshot.