Daffodil's Reviews > Killer Mousse

Killer Mousse by Melinda Wells

Nov 22, 10

bookshelves: mystery
Read from November 19 to 20, 2010

This is a hard one to rate. Characterizations and plot were interesting. I thought the cooking part would add a little more spice (pun not intended). However, the whole book got off to a really rocky start. The opening sequence was packed with too much information. I love watching cooking shows and find the little hints and tidbits handed out worth paying attention to. But when you add in descriptions of Della's every step on set in addition to the steps of the recipe it becomes convoluted and hard to want to follow. What works well when your seeing it on television does not work well when described in this manner. Things evened out after that except whenever Lulu was talking. Tell me she speaks with a deep drawl, maybe even give me one example of her accented speach. Don't spell out every single ah instead of I and mah instead of my. It was torture to read through any scene involving Lulu. The other major problem for me was Della's actions in the final chapters of the book. Her reaction to a situation that happened in no way matched the reaction of a cop's widow. For more details see below the spoiler space. If I were basing my rating strictly on characterization and plot, I would give this 3 stars. I just can't though. In my book, 3 stars is a good solid read. Enjoyable, but not spectacular. 3 stars implies that I'm likely to read another book by the author at some future date. I'm not. The execution bothered me enough that I probably won't be trying any more.

Spoiler Space

Della's become the target of the murderer. There is a possible suspect who is supposedly out of town. But nothing has been proven and no arrests have been made. Then Della finds her dog poisoned with snail bait inside balls of meat. She rushes him to the vet, determines he will be okay and then returns home. Does she call the police? No. Does she worry for her own safety now that her dog is temporarily out of the picture? No. Does she call a friend to stay with her or to stay with? No! At most she thinks maybe one of the neighbor kids was involved. These are not the actions of a smart peron, widow of a cop or not. This falls in the realm of TSTL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killer Mousse.