Ashlee's Reviews > Spoken from the Heart

Spoken from the Heart by Laura Bush

Nov 19, 10

I like Laura Bush she has a quiet grace that I believe is genuine but, her mother-in-law's book was better. Barbara is saucier!
There was WAY TOO MUCH about what she wore and how she decorated in here for my taste! That was definitely a stereo-type about her that turned out to be true! However, I did get it. She is from the south and following decorum whether it is in the White House or the suburbs is VERY important and women like her tend to think it is very important to everyone ;-)
I liked reading about Texas and her time as first lady of Texas. I also enjoyed discovering all the things she was involved with as First Lady of our country, the causes she championed (never heard much about any of that from the media nor, did she herself go out and let it be known: one of the things I admire about her) "...prosperity cannot follow peace without educated women and children. It is a simple idea, but it lies at the heart of so much suffering in the world." She championed many womens causes from here to Afghanistan. Did you know she is a friend of Nancy Brinker's and was part of the beginnings of The Susan G. Komen For the Cure? I didn't either. . .
In the end I found there were no surprises. Her real passion is her husband, her daughters,her parents, her faith, and her country. "The world does not operate according to the principles of "what if?" All leaders make choices, and no one can say for certain what would have happened had a different path been taken. For myself, I prefer to stand against opression, to stand, with George, for freedom."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spoken from the Heart.