Jess's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

Feb 25, 09

Read in February, 2009

Borrowed this book from the library on Tuesday morning, started it on the bicycle at the gym around 2, took it back up after dinner and finished reading it by 10pm that night.

A quick, entertaining, exhilarating read that dusted off thoughts of adventure and made me dream about what it would be like to come from more exciting roots than the suburbs of Southern California.

Something that struck me, having been so recently in Cambodia: Fuller makes a distinction between 1) the missionary, 2) the naive traveler, 3) the aid worker, 4) the savvy adventurer, 5) and the true expat -- these are the same stereotypes that come up again and again in literature set in developing countries and for the most part, in my very limited experience (in areas 3/4), they're based on some real truth.

Her run in with the missionaries reminded me of the teenage "Elders" from the LDS church in Kampong Cham who ran around in their jaunty clothes and nametags and also of a sign in a bar in Kampot town in Cambodia:

No God Squad, Praise Jesus

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.