valee's Reviews > The Duke of Shadows

Jul 18, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance, 200-fav-reads
Read from July 17 to 18, 2011

MASTER PIECE.
Is there a better way to describe this book? I don't think so. I just can't believe I've never heard a thing about it before a week from now, it amazes me to realize such an amazing read might have been forever lost to me if I it wasn't for one of the most amazing friends I have here on Goodreads (Ally I will be FOREVER GRATEFUL to you). I will say this is a book beyond compare in this genre, which is a lot to say as I have read a lot of hist-romances. OMG, where to start? I can't remember the last time I was this absorbed about a book. I spent the whole freaking day shut up in my bedroom reading without stopping. Seriously, I only stopped to eat, that's how much obsessed I got with it. I was so consumed with the story I forgot I was reading a book and actually felt I was living it. This author is amazing, she just does magic with words. I suffered terribly with some parts while I laugh and cried at the same time with others. I got so immersed I lost all track of time. I cried the strongest once it was over because I didn't want it to end.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS BOOK AND THE REST IN THE GENRE:
Probably that the plot was way better developed than in most of my past reads. I felt so enthralled by it, I just wanted to keep reading in order to discover even more information. I had forgotten what it felt to be taken into the past, to really feel you were living things that authentically happened. Only books can do this, but not many of them can actually make you feel you're truly experiencing these events from the past. Only for this reason I will add this book to my 50-favorite-books shelf. Sigh, I just can't believe how inspiring the book was, how it transported me to a time where things you just can't bare to even imagine where common.

AN ASTONISHING & UNCONVENTIONAL PLOT:
While most books in this genre concentrate on describing the upper classes and their daily dilemmas, this author always finds a way to surprise us. In this amazing book, we read about a woman who was supposed to reunite with her fiance who was momentarily staying at India while England was trying to rule it. While she discovers he is not what she thought he would be she also meets the man she was always meant to be with, something it's clear form their very first interaction. We get to see how this romance develops while the mutiny of the Indians takes place. Be ready and have some tissues at hand because you will accompany our brave characters through this very same revolution and suffer and witness some very devastating tragedies.

To sum up I just wanna emphasize that this book is definitely a must read and a literal work of art in the hist-romance genre. The author knew how to give us an abundance of background information but without being aggravating. This book will always remind as one of my favorites and I'll definitely be reading it again some years from now.

Moreover, the romance will always be there too, and it such a powerful connection between this characters that you will just want to weep for how strong this link between them feels:
"Words are not the only way we communicate, you and I. They never were."
21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke of Shadows.

07/17 "Oops, couldn't start it today because I just HAD TO see True Blood's last episode. LOOOVED IT. I promise to start the book next free second I'll get."
03/26 marked as: read

Ally72 Vale...This book is supposed to be fantastic so I will be looking forward to hearing what you think!

valee I'm so nervous about starting this one,LOL, it's just that I adored the other one and this one is suppose to be even better, *sigh.

message 3: by Ally72 (last edited Jul 17, 2011 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally72 I have only read wonderful comments about it so I think we will love it!

Annie I loved the Duke of Shadows and A Lady's Lesson in Scandal. MD's other books a really liked alot. I think DOS and Lesson are her best. I could not put those books down.

Victoria I knew that you would love this phenomenally written story of love and survival. It truly is a masterpiece!

valee I know, I just can't make myself comprehend a week before now I had no idea it existed. Sigh, what an amazing read. I'm scared for my next read as I already know it wont be higher than a 3 stars book. It just wont be possible to rate it higher after this terrific read.

valee FINISHED IT AND ADORED IT! Ally I will be forever grateful with you for recommending this amazing book to me.

Ally72 Beautiful review, Vale! You are so sweet and I can't wait to read it NOW. It is always hard reading a new book after finishing a book like this one.

valee You'll love it so much Ally, it has such an amazing and interesting plot, sigh. I wish I could re-read it without knowing what would happen,LOL.

Ally72 I love it when that happens in a book!!! I think pretty much all of my goodreads friends have loved this story so I am excited!

message 11: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jul 18, 2011 09:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Lovely review, Vale! I'm so happy to see you loved this too. I'm SO SORRY I didn't pimp this book to you when I read it last September!

I LOVED this book so much and was so immersed in the story that Meredith Duran wove with such aching beauty, and in Julian (I am IN LOVE with him! *sighs*) and Emma, that I couldn't let it go and actually read it twice in a row. I was singing its praises and waxing poetic about it (I likened TDoS to a rich, beautiful and complex tapestry, LOL) in my review! It was quite simply, AMAZING, for me. I thought you knew about this book, Vale, otherwise I would have sent you a reco. So sorry again but so happy you read it now!

YAY, to Ally for leading you to it! ^_^

And Ally, I KNOW you will LOVE it!

Melia Danielle Great review, Vale! I have this book sitting on my shelf at home. Can't wait to read it next!!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* And EVERY TIME I see someone reading this and saying how much they love it, it just makes me want to immerse myself in this story and Julian and Emma again! This is most definitely a KEEPER, for me, and among my all-time favourite books.

message 14: by Shelly (new)

Shelly I'm always looking for recommendations! Thanks!

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Great review. I really enjoyed this book too.

valee Thanks AH!

message 17: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina Thanks for the recommendation. I will be adding this book to my shelf. Great Review!

valee Thanks Tina!