Felix Dance's Reviews > The Moonstone

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Nov 19, 10

Read in September, 2010

This book has a special meaning for me. This is the book that terminated Dad's regular evening book-reading to me and my bro Rupert 15 years ago or so, because we thought it was too boring. Plus my excellent friend Thomas Firth recommended it to me a few years ago. And it's hilarious! So many great characters and interesting ideas. An elderly servant who treats the book Robinson Crusoe as the Bible, an incredibly annoying proselytising pious Christian woman (Collins' Atheism really shows here) who is an absurd stereotype, and a man who has been educated in four European countries cycling his personality through each national identity in turn. An Indian diamond (the Moonstone) has been pillaged from the siege of Seringapatnam (a journey that mentions many Indian locales I am visiting now) and is bequeathed to a young lady in rural England. When the diamond goes missing during the aftermath of a dinner party, all the guests and staff are implicated. But who really stole the diamond? I can say that I picked it half way through, but the suspense is very well executed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moonstone.