Crystal's Reviews > I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

I Like You by Amy Sedaris

4208217
Dec 21, 10

I really enjoy this book. Initially, I kept it on my coffee table, but it now resides on my kitchen cookbook shelf. Sure, there are some seemingly elementary advisories, but I always remember my 6th grade teacher telling us "Common sense is not all that common." I bought this book for myself when I was 25. The only other cook book I possessed at the time was "A Man, A Can, A Plan." I had recently watched the special features on a DVD called "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" where there was a section by Robert Rodriguez. In it, he wants to show us how to make Puerco Pibil. It was the part where he says "You've got to eat for the rest of your life. You might as well eat well." Growing up as a picky eater, sticking to Hamburger Helpers and Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, Pizza Rolls and Ramen noodles to get me through college, this phrase struck a strange chord in me. I turned to Amy's book because it was simple, comforting, and unassuming. Now at 29, with one Christmas dinner, 5 or 6 dinner parties under my belt, and rave reviews of my menu, my family eagerly anticipates Christmas dinner at my pad. And I will be hot-gluing googly eyeballs to at least a couple of walnuts.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Like You.