Mrsgaskell's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: A Novel

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Dec 15, 10

bookshelves: 10-star, british, library, reread
Read in June, 2009, read count: 2

I thoroughly enjoyed this book when I read it last year and thought I would like to re-read it some day. The opportunity came sooner than expected - one of my book clubs chose it as our June selection. I normally wait years before revisiting a book. Since there was still a long waiting list for the print edition, and the audio book was available, I decided to try listening to it. It was eight hours long, perfect for a planned road trip. I think in the car is probably the only place where I could successfully listen to an audio book without being distracted. This was excellent, with different readers for the various characters. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It brought tears and laughter even the second time around.

My Notes from September 2008"

I loved this delightful epistolary novel which was recommended on the Bookcrossing site. In 1946 London, writer Juliet Ashton is looking for a subject for her next book. She receives a letter from a man in Guernsey who came across her name in the flyleaf of a secondhand book by Charles Lamb. He hopes she can help him find more books by this author. As their correspondence continues, she learns about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, formed as an alibi during the German occupation, and begins to correspond with other members of the society, learning about wartime life on the island. Funny, warm, and sad, this cleverly written book has wit, romance, and tragedy. It is reminiscent of 84, Charing Cross Road, and I highly recommend it. I could easily see myself rereading it.