Anna Tee (The Bursting Bookshelf)'s Reviews > The Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Nov 25, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from October 16 to November 10, 2011

Ever since reading The Lightening Thief a year and a bit ago, I fell in love with Rick Riordan's writing. Fast forward to now and six books later, you have The Son of Neptune, a continuation of the successful Percy Jackson series and the Heroes of Olympus Series. Going into it, I was very excited about the new book, and I can say that I was even more excited about it coming out.

The cover was a very interesting one, as all of Rick Riordan's middle grade covers are. It is under the same theme as The Lost Hero, with the illustrated cover that comes into play with the story. That is one of my favourite moments of reading a book, realizing connections that the author and publisher has left for the reader. Another aspect of this cover that I love is that it helps you better picture a key scene in the book towards the end. Also, the font for the title is very cool looking.

This book introduces the reader to a new batch of characters, different from those in The Lost Hero and the Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series with the exception of Percy and one or two other minor characters (to avoid spoilers I won't say names). I really enjoyed the return of Percy, getting to see a different side of him than before, one without his Greek friends to help him. As for Hazel and Frank, I really loved the wit they brought to the book along with the struggles and back-stories, unlike anything else in the series.

The best part of this book had to be the writing. The writing of this book brought Rick Riordan's gift with wit and humour to even the darkest of times, making every moment memorable and great, it also worked to keep the reader's imagination running with connections to everyday things as well as Greek and Roman mythology. The story was good, but it did have a few slower parts throughout, mainly when more explanation was given about the Roman aspect of the book. As for explanations about the two camps, I thought it was fairly well explained and understandable for the reader about how the two could exist without the other's realization, creating a seamless transition to the new set of gods and goddesses.

Overall, I give The Son of Neptune a 4/5 for being a great sequel with few flaws, setting up for a great third book. I would reccomend this book to any fan of Rick Riordan's or a fan of humour and Greek mythology.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Son of Neptune.

10/25/2011 page 56