Sandi's Reviews > The Prestige

Dec 28, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobooks, 2010
Read from November 18 to December 17, 2010

If you've seen the movie, don't bother with the book. I usually don't mind spoilers because the journey is why I read (or watch a movie). In this case, the spoiled reveal spoiled the book. Of course, it could be that the book was rotten to begin with and couldn't get any more spoiled. It did have some interesting techniques that knowing the secrets helped me notice. But, it was soooooo sloooooooow and booooring that even clever technique didn't help.

I don't think the audio version was helped at all by Simon Vance's narration. I know that he's a favorite narrator for a lot of audio book listeners, but this is the second book I've heard him narrate and both have practically put me to sleep. He takes an already slow story and makes it even slower. I've recently passed on the audio versions of a couple of books I want to read just because he's the narrator. I'll just read them in print.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prestige.

Brad I don't remember liking the book to much, but I do remember thinking this was one of those rare cases where the book easily trumped the movie. I have actually been considering rereading it because my memory of it is foggy, but you're nudging me towards passing on that, Sandi.

Chelsea I listened to the audio version as well and I'm glad I did because I think reading it would've been boring.