Heather's Reviews > A Royal Likeness

A Royal Likeness by Christine Trent

Dec 10, 10

bookshelves: arc, hfbrt, historical-fiction, england, 19th-c
Read from November 18 to December 04, 2010 — I own a copy

Christine Trent’s second novel blows her first one away – and that is quite a feat as The Queen's Dollmaker was phenomenal. Right from the very first chapters the events that unfold suck you right in to the story and immediately embed these characters in your mind. By the time you hit roughly page 200 you will not be able to put the book down – and if you have to, you will run right back to it ASAP.

The main character, Marguerite Ashby, was a young woman when we last left her in The Queen’s Dollmaker. Throughout A Royal Likeness we see her grow up right before our eyes. She becomes the apprentice to the renowned Madame Tussaud. I really loved Madame Tussaud because she was a very industrious businesswoman and she was so enjoyable to read about.

I was most surprised by how much I enjoyed the Battle of Trafalgar scenes in this novel. I am not one who usually enjoys battle or war scenes – but this was very well done. There was the right amount of the description of the battle topside as well as the action below deck. This was where I became enamored with this story and could absolutely not put it down – I sacrificed sleep to stay up and finish the last 100 pages.

I would recommend this book to everyone. It is not absolutely necessary to have read The Queen’s Dollmaker first – you will still have a very enjoyable story – but I would recommend it because they are both amazing.

This book was received for review from the publisher - I was not compensated for my opinions and the above is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Royal Likeness.

11/19/2010 page 27