Douglas Cootey's Reviews > The Boxer and the Spy

The Boxer and the Spy by Robert B. Parker

Nov 18, 10

bookshelves: borrowed, ebook, young-adult, mystery
Read on November 18, 2010

Light, airy text. Short chapters. Small town mystery solved by teenagers. Boxing chapters served as metaphors for life. Thoughts on love, sex, and adulthood. Overall, a very good read. Engaging characters. Not overly involved plot that touches upon teenage feelings on isolation, responsibility, friendship, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My only complaint is that teenagers rarely think or say "What do I know about X, I am only 15". My experience with actual 15yos is that they think they are already adults. Age appropriateness is an adult concept, not a teenage one, unless age is a barrier to activity, like driving or clubbing. The fact that teenagers consider themselves adults is one of the reasons they get themselves in over their heads all the time. Incidentally, it is also how they learn to become adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boxer and the Spy.

11/18/2010 page 224
100.0% "Light, airy text. Short chapters. Small town mystery solved by teenagers. Boxing chapters as metaphors for life. Thoughts on love, sex, and adulthood. Overall, a very good read. Engaging characters. Not overly involved plot that touches upon teenage feelings on isolation, responsibility, friendship, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed it."