Judy's Reviews > An Irish Country Christmas

F 50x66
Nov 18, 2010

liked it
Read in December, 2010

Starting this novel for a bookclub selection. Very nice, country setting in 1964. Humorous, warm, quirky. '64 rural Ireland reminds me of 1950's USA. They are still insulated from hippie revolution, etc. Interesting to read the doctors' medical remedies. Patients in this small village (suburb of Belfast) are also friends. Protestant/catholic antagonism and violence doesn't exist. The 2 churches live and play together. Wonderful. Younger doctor admires his girl friend's independence and intelligence, but there's still a double standard as he gets angry when she doesn't do what he wants. This leads him to childishly flirt with other women - all of whom are good looking, well shaped and fall all over him (I think this is a typical "male" novel in this instance). The older doctor who is a glutton and overweight (great guy though) also has an old friend still in love with him. Other than this occurrence, the story is quiet nice and I recommend it for a pleasant read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Irish Country Christmas.