Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > Moonlight Mile

Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane

Nov 21, 10

bookshelves: all-fiction, cops-and-pee-eyes, four-star-fiction, miss-trees
Read in November, 2010

I revisited Gone, Baby, Gone before reading this one, and I'm glad I did. All the particulars were fresh in my mind, so Moonlight Mile was just a continuation of the story for me, with no confusion.

It's been 12 years, and everybody's wondering what ever became of Kenzie and Gennaro after they found four-year-old Amanda McCready. They're now Kenzie and Kenzie, middle-aged, with a four-year-old girl of their own. Amanda McCready is now almost 17, and she's missing again. Patrick Kenzie is still haunted by the choice he made in 1998 to return Amanda to her unfit mother, so he can't turn down the request to find Amanda again and do right by her.

Moonlight Mile is Lehane Light. There's a lot less detail than in the early Kenzie and Gennaro novels, but that's not a bad thing. Some of those old ones dragged a bit, whereas Moonlight Mile makes a mad dash to each new revelation. While the mystery may be a little transparent and too easily resolved, the story buzzes with chuckle-worthy dialogue and some painfully accurate observations about the current woes of our society. It was fun to reconnect with the old characters---Patrick, Angie, Bubba---and see how the years have worn down some of their sharp edges and changed their priorities and perspectives.

There are some holes in the plot. The way they figured out where Amanda had gone was totally lame. Amanda herself is not entirely believable as a 17-year-old girl. She's far too articulate and quick with analysis for one so young. And then there's the matter of the foreign characters speaking to each other in poor English for the benefit of the English-speaking characters (and readers). Not very realistic. These discrepancies and implausibilities are best overlooked as the plot hums along nicely. It's worth the ride just to see how everything untangles in the end and the characters make life-changing decisions. (Some of them also make life-ENDING decisions, but I'll say no more about that.)

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonlight Mile.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Julie Today's mail brought my goodreads win copy! I think I'm going to tuck into this tonight :)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I didn't know you'd won this, Julie. Fun! Looks like it will be a quickie.