Toni's Reviews > Island of Deceit

Island of Deceit by Candice Poarch

Nov 18, 10

bookshelves: mystery, romance
Read in November, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

When I picked this up I had no idea that it was part of a series and now have to go back and read the first two. Island of Deceit is sort of a hybrid romance/mystery with action and love throughout. Barbara Turner is recently retired and all set to move with her grandmother back to Paradise Island, where their family is from. But when her grandmother dies after being swindled by con artists, Barbara changes tactics and seeks revenge.

She traces the crooks to, coincidentally, Paradise Island and settles in to entrap them and retrieve the money they stole from her grandmother and several other elderly women. What Barbara doesn't count on is the attraction she feels for Harper Porterfield, the island's sheriff and what their relationship could mean for her plan.

The best things about this book are that Barbara is a plus-sized woman of a certain age, qualities that you don't find in a lot of romances, and that the island is full of African-American history. Can't wait to read others in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island of Deceit.