Morgan F's Reviews > Awaken

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

17 yr old Maddie lives in the year 2060, where everything, from dating, schooling, and going to the movies, is done online. Ever since her disastrous rebellion two years before nearly caused her and her father to go to jail, Maddie has lived compliantly with this life, never complaining or yearning for actual physical contact. One day Maddie meets a boy online in school chatroom, and he invites her to actual go to a real tutor session. Maddie agrees and that is how Justin enters her life. Justin is wild and unpredictable, being here for one minute and leaving the next. He hates everything about society nowadays, and embraces actual social interactions. Justin shows Maddie that the best things in life aren't behind the computer screen. Maddie can feel herself falling in love with Justin, even though her father, the founder of Digital School, forbids it. Maddie is torn between doing what is right for her family, and doing what might be right for the world.

This was a good piece of YA dystopian fiction. The world-building was excellent, probably because it is not too hard to imagine a world like Maddie's, seeing as society seems to be heading there anyways. I know I am lazy. I know I depend too much on my cell phone and my laptop. I know that's bad for me. But unfortunately, one of things I disliked about this book is it preachiness. I felt I was getting beamed on the head with my Mac. COMPUTERS BAD. PHYSICAL EXPERIENCES GOOD. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it. At least I've seen fire and live music and I have real trees unlike Maddie SO THERE. It's kind of ironic though, because I was reading this book online.....

Maddie was a good narrator. She actually had some hutzpah and wasn't some passive, dependent troll. She actually proved she was intelligent instead of just reading Wuthering Heights for the four billionth time, like that means anything. I liked Maddie. Justin.....eh. Yeah, he was hot, I guess, but most of the preachiness came from him. If he goes on a rant one more time....I also didn't like that he had "I will be aloof to the woman I love because I am not good enough for her" syndrome. Dude, come one. Have some respect. I don't like it when protag love interests think that they know what is better for the protagonist more than the protagonist does.

I really liked the first half of the book, but something threw me off about the second half. It's like someone poured cold water on the book and yelled WAAAIIITTT. I think the sexual tension between Maddie and Justin was drawn out too long. Every time they walked away kiss-less from each other, I let out a frustrated sigh. The second half of the book was mostly on Justin/Maddie romance, and that was Maddie pining for Justin most of the time. The final action scene also felt really contrived.

And guess what! There was a character named Clare that I didn't hate! I'm improving!

Overall, a decent YA dystopian fiction. I wanna know what happens next realz bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.

11/24/2010 page 50
14.0% "Interesting, so far."

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 8: by ~Tina~ (last edited Nov 28, 2010 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Hahaha! You actually liked a character named Clare? Wow, I'm impressed;)
Great review, I need to read this next.

Morgan F I admit, when I first saw the name I growled, but she turned out not to be so bad.

~Tina~ LOL! Why is it that I can totally hear you growl?

Jessica Great review Morgan! I've got that one as ARC, too, and I'm glad to hear that you liked it. Looking forward to read this soon.

Morgan F ~Tina~ wrote: "LOL! Why is it that I can totally hear you growl?"

Because I am a llama.

message 3: by Nic (new)

Nic ~Tina~ wrote: "Hahaha! You actually liked a character named Clare? Wow, I'm impressed;)"

LOL. Great review Morgan. I've got an ARC too. So I am excited to read this now.

Morgan F Hey, hey, hey. I will never like a character named Bella. Never.

My friends dog is named Bella, and I hate it too.

~Tina~ Nic wrote: "She must be mellowing out. Next thing she will be liking characters called Bella."

Haha! Now that's just crazy talk;) This is after all Morgan!