Chrissie's Reviews > People of the Book

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

May 11, 2008

bookshelves: balkans, spain, hf, religion, italy, kirkus, austria, favorites
Read in May, 2008

WOW - this is good! I just finished the episode in Venice 1609.

Now I have finished the book, and it definitely gets 5 stars. Wonderful storytelling and skillful interweaving of truth and fiction. Don't worry - at the end you know clearly what exactly is true and what is fiction. Just marvelous!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.

03/14 marked as: read

dely I finished it right now. Wow! An amazing book. And I bought it because I had seen your 5 stars rating :D Thank you!

Chrissie Oh, I am glad you liked it! Don't assume that all of Geraldine Brooks' books are equally good. They are NOT. I read it quite a long time ago, before I really wrote reviews, so I don't remember much.

dely Chrissie wrote: "Oh, I am glad you liked it! Don't assume that all of Geraldine Brooks' books are equally good. They are NOT. I read it quite a long time ago, before I really wrote reviews, so I don't remember much."

Have you read other books by her? Which did you like or dislike?

Chrissie I gave Year of Wonders one star and Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women three. Both have reviews that explain my feelings. I have decided to avoid Caleb's Crossing. BUT do note that Brooks is the mentor of Hannah Kent, who wrote Burial Rites, which is a remarkable book. I just cannot believe that this book was not written by a Scandinavian.

dely Chrissie wrote: "I gave Year of Wonders one star and Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women three. Both have reviews that explain my feelings. I have decided to avoid [boo..."

Thanks ;-) For now I have enough books to read so I won't hasten to read the other books by Geraldine Brooks above all if they aren't as good as The People of the Book.

Chrissie Glad I could help.