Maldivianbookreviewer's Reviews > Fire And Ice

Fire And Ice by Anne Stuart

4201191
Things I liked:

1- Hiromasa Shinoda. The complex nature of his character is one of the main reasons that made me race through this story at such a fast pace. I loved the fact that he alternated between being the good and nerdy Hiromasa and the ultimate bad boy Reno whilst the bad boy wins most of the time. Whilst his bad boy Harley riding image appeals on so many levels to my slutty inner self, it is the medium between the two that made me fall for him in the end.

2- Jillian Lovitz. She is such a treat to read about. Her positive optimism when it comes to Reno is what made me love her. Even though at times Reno's words and actions cut deep, and Jilly keeps telling herself that familiarity with Reno would breed contempt and in the end she wouldn't feel so vulnerable with Reno, it is Jilly who identifies the fact that it is not that Reno doesn't feel anything for her but rather he is terrified of just how much he feels when it comes to Jilly.

3- The premise of the story. I loved discovering tidbits about Japan and their customs and lifestyle. In fact it made me even search up on the Internet on some of the stuff that I came across in this novel such as the Japanese Capsule hotels and the Meiji Shrine. For someone who has always held the view that Japan is one of the most beautiful places on Earth, reading about it in this novel just drove home the point that I need to do some traveling ASAP.

4- The element of forbidden love in this story. Throughout the whole of Ice series, it has been the nature of their jobs as employees of The Committee that had kept the heroes/heroines unable to face the fact that even they are vulnerable enough to fall in love when it comes to the right person. However, Reno and Jilly's story is different such that Reno tries to keep his hands off of Jilly not because he doesn't want her, but rather because he had promised his cousin's wife that he would stay away from her and for someone like Reno, family loyalty comes before anything else.

5- And oh yes, even though totally unrelated, I loved listening to Breaking Benjamin's latest album Dear Agony all throughout when I was reading this book. The music just brought something extra to the story which is hard for me to explain but nevertheless played an important role in enhancing my enjoyment of a story well spun.

Stuff I didn't like so much:

Again, what's with these abrupt endings? I just don't get it! The story flows so smoothly, you ache for the hero and heroine to get their happily ever after, and wham bam thank you maam, the ending just comes out of nowhere and slaps you on the face something fierce. I so dearly wish this weren't so. I mean it would be nice just to leave us readers with a healthy dose of an epilogue (even a page or two would suffice) to tide us over and take with us images of the ending we had envisioned right through the story. *glum sigh*

For the full review: http://bit.ly/atb3Yf
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire And Ice.

Quotes Maldivianbookreviewer Liked

Anne Stuart
“The best thing to do if you start thinking such things (falling in love) is to lie down and wait for it to pass. It always does.”
Anne Stuart, Fire And Ice

Anne Stuart
“What happened to you? Did you finally annoy someone enough to have them beat the shit out of you?”
Anne Stuart, Fire And Ice

11/18/2010
8.0% ""If you make a sound, you'll die. Do you understand?" he whispered in her ear, so quietly it was almost soundless. For a moment Jilly wondered who was the threat - the men beyond the closed door or the one holding her clamped against him?"
11/18/2010
8.0% "She blinked. How could she have forgotten? The flame-red hair, the tattooed cheekbones, the faint sneer on his admittedly beautiful mouth."
11/18/2010
21.0% "Edgy, absurd, exotic and beautiful, and every man or boy she'd met since had always paled in comparison. Right there with you girl on this one! ^.^"
11/18/2010
70.0% ""How does sleeping with my sister-in-law, the girl you were told to keep away from, constitute an accident?" Taka demanded bitterly. "You tripped over her and your cock accidentally landed inside?" LOL!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Hmmm. I may have to give this series another try. Hiromasa sounds like an interesting character. I'm soooo with you on this author's abrupt endings. Why, oh why, does she keep doing that?

Maldivianbookreviewer Quinn wrote: "Hmmm. I may have to give this series another try. Hiromasa sounds like an interesting character. I'm soooo with you on this author's abrupt endings. Why, oh why, does she keep doing that?"

I know!! *wails in frustration!!*
It's like the words suddenly stop flowing out of her in mid sentence and every word afterwards has to be dragged out of her.. Frustrates us readers who are invested in the characters like hell when she does that. But regardless of the fact I LOVED the whole series and couldn't help but go into depressive contemplation when it ended. LOL!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Great review, Maldivianbookreviewer. I found this book very fun, and I loved Reno! I thought Jilly was a great heroine, and her young age didn't bother me.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Oh, and I love the glimpses of Japan. You can tell Ms. Stuart loves that country and its people.

Maldivianbookreviewer Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Oh, and I love the glimpses of Japan. You can tell Ms. Stuart loves that country and its people."

Yeah definitely she does love the country and people. I would love to visit Japan one day.
And Reno is one of those heroes you can't help but love. His unusual character certainly adds to his appeal :>

message 6: by Ruby (last edited Dec 09, 2010 09:05PM) (new)

Ruby *sigh*..I'm in love ooooh yes I'am. Books ya gotta love the wicked power they possess.

message 7: by Ruby (last edited Dec 09, 2010 11:36PM) (new)

Ruby My children have a great fondness & love for the Asian culture also they have always long to visit Japan as well as I . I'd love to go to China to see THE GREAT WALL one day.
One of my teenage daughters enjoys writing ,creating her own anime characters also she cooks an extremely lot ,creates her own version brand of Asian cuisine. She also bakes the best Pineapple up-down-cake ya every wanna taste..mmmmyummmm..:D. Asian desserts & boba tea is my daguhters specialities. Japanese food R great to!
My daughter Jalana as in Lana Turner is learning Japanese in school. She loves the English Culture as well as Johnny Depp all most any movie by him she adores especially >*Sweeney Todd*<..Knows ever song word for word in this dark musical..;D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I love British culture and Asian culture too.