♥ Sarah ♥'s Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast

2641924
Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: characters-vampires, genre-young-adult, sync-ilb, cover-is-awesome, genre-paranormal
Read from March 25 to 30, 2011

So this is a series I've been wanting to read for awhile. Although it seems to have quite an array of opinions ranging from terrible to fantastic, I still wanted to give it a shot. I will be the first to admit that my initial reason for wanting to read them is because of the covers. I think this series has fantastic covers and I was hoping that the contents would match their awesomeness. I was also kind of expecting it to be at least similar to Vampire Academy, which I love. It wasn't really similar in any way at all though (except for it being about a vampire/vampyre school) and after reading it I feel like I'm dissing Vampire Academy by even comparing the two. They are on two totally different levels and Vampire Academy is superior in every way. Sorry House of Night fans!

In this book, the main character Zoey is Marked for "the Change". What this means is that she must go to the House of Night or she will get sick and die. For some reason (not really explained), being at the House of Night school halts this sickness and enables the fledgling (vampyre pledge) to start the Change officially. So after Zoey is Marked she goes to the House of Night and immediately she is different from the other fledglings. Her Mark is filled in, which is unheard of for a fledgling. Fledgling's start off with their Mark outlined, until they become a full fledged vampyre. Aside from this very scary and big difference, she is also noticing some other major things that are different about her. Soon Zoey discovers that her differences are special and that they were given to her for a reason so she must find out what the Goddess Nyx had in mind for her and her abilities.

First off, the premise for this book is really cool. The way the world is setup is very much different from most vampire books I've read. In this world, as I've said above, humans are chosen to be Marked. They are chosen supposedly by the Goddess Nyx, although that's not really clearly explained as of yet. But, what's really different is that once they are Marked they have to come to the House of Night to potentially become a vampyre. Everyone doesn't make it though. There are those whose body resists the Change and they...die. So it's not all fun and games. But, it's an interesting concept.

The primary thing I didn't like about this book was the way it was written, as well as Zoey and the other characters' maturity level. Although it's young adult, it borders on ridiculous. I've read young adult books before from the perspective of a 16 year old girl, and it was not annoying. This was. She was constantly going off on rants that were wrapped in parenthesis (like this for instance). I mean, this was all the time and it got to be very annoying. This is what I mean about the way it was written too. The way it was written made Zoey seem even less mature. I'm hoping this is a case where Zoey matures throughout the series (as with Rose from Vampire Academy -- although I've always liked Rose. Am I doing the parenthesis thing? Oops.) and that she will become more likable in future books. One can hope.

I also didn't like the constant bashing of the "People of Faith" who are so clearly supposed to represent Christians. I found this very insulting. At times the House of Night also seemed more like a cult than a community as well. I also thought Zoey was very harsh towards her human friends. She is quick to ditch her best friend of forever and she has a strange hatred towards Heath -- who really seemed like a pretty good guy. (view spoiler) I just didn't really understand the extreme dislike she had towards him.

One thing that I didn't really like or dislike, but found pretty shocking was the level of swearing and sexual situations/conversations that was going on in this book. Considering it's young adult, I found that pretty crazy. I won't get into the details, but it's not really that much if you read a lot of adult romance novels. But it's more than you'd expect from a young adult novel. Let's just say that the word blow job, and maybe even a situation involving said blow job is present in this novel.

What I did like: Erik. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a hot guy. He was one hot tamale and I really hope we get to see much more of him in future books. (view spoiler) I also liked her new friends, except it was annoying when one of them kept saying "Please..." in front of everything (as in like "Bitch, please!").

Overall the book was alright. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, being that it's a setup for a series. It didn't have much action and the action it did have was very much "meh". But, I also get that they're setting up a new world and all, which can take up a lot of pages. Hopefully the next books will have much more action, maturity, better writing, and romance. We shall see...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

03/26/2011 page 33
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen Han in there girl this is one long series that does get better has you go. The folklore that builds in this is really good actually. I read them all so far and I will say this. They follow you typical LONG series pattern. First you get the "builder" book then you get about 2 books of OmG action, followed by a tamer "bridger/builder" book again and repeat. Lol but I've had 4 peeps borrow this series from me and they all devoured them.

And oh yes sweetie Erik isn't goin anywhere *waggles eyebrows*

♥ Sarah ♥ Very good to know! A friend of mine actually lent me the first two so far. She says she loves the series. What's cool is that she's a "real life" friend and I had no idea she was into vampire books! lol It makes me love her even more. :-P

But yes, that sounds like the typical pattern, right on! But, that sounds good. I will definitely keep going and I'm very happy to know that Erik will be sticking around. Loved him. :)

Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly I really like this series. I agree with feeling insulted about the take on the people of faith. At first I was insulted but that changed after a while. The Cast duo also rectify the way that they potray Christianity in a later book in the series.

♥ Sarah ♥ Oh that's good to know. That's one of the things that irked me the most about it. But, I'm glad that changes in the future books.

SATIN SUE    keep with it chick, this is a really good series, but i will admit i didnt like the last book that was out as much as the others.

Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly I haven't read awakened yet. It's in my pile.

♥ Sarah ♥ I will Sue! I'm glad to hear there are those of you out there that like it though because I was seeing mostly negative stuff before starting, so it's good to hear.

@Megan -- There's so many good books that have come out these past few months, I don't blame you for not getting to it yet! :-P

SATIN SUE    awakened was a let down but after the first couplr of books it really kicked off......i think it was better then the va books...

♥ Sarah ♥ I don't know if I'll be able to agree with you there, but we'll see how things go. :)

message 10: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen Ummmm better than VA?!? That's a toughie. I read HON first and then started VA. I heart both of them for different reasons. I'm not even sure I can compare the two fairly. You'll see why has you get further but really they are nothing alike. Except for the whole school for vamps thing:)

I also agree that awakened wasn't the best book but then again it is what I'd call a "bridger" book. It ties up a few lose ends and leaves you with new questions for the next installment. Bu Tempted is so so so intense you almost need a relaxed book after it. Besidesthis series is rumored to be 12 books long. I'm really looking forward to the next one!

And oh god speaking of VA...Rose how I miss you;(

♥ Sarah ♥ Yeah, I'm already seeing that they're not really alike. When I first started into this one, I was thinking they would be. But yeah, other than the vamp school, they already seem very different. Which is good though.

I know! I can't wait for the Bloodlines series though. :)

message 12: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen I'm excited about it but....*hides face in shame* I cried when I put Last Sacrifice up on my bookshelf. I was way Way too invested in her and dimitri.

SATIN SUE    i didnt think hon was al most finished, i thought they had a lot more books to come...

and i couldnt get in to VA.. i dont know why.

message 14: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen Yea there's 8 books out and she has a contract for at least 4 more last I heard.

Sry you couldn't get into VA. I've heard that alot about both Of these series. I almost didn't try VA bc of it but I'm so glad I did!

♥ Sarah ♥ I feel ya Darkfallen. I felt pretty sad at the end of that one. It's like saying goodbye to an old friend. lol

Yeah, I donno what it was about VA you couldn't get into Sue :( Oh well, every book isn't for everyone I suppose. :)