Emir Never's Reviews > The Luneburg Variation

The Luneburg Variation by Paolo Maurensig

Jan 12, 15

bookshelves: chess-chest

On a Sunday morning, the body of Dieter Frisch, 68, was found dead, "the result of a pistol shot fired at very close range, the bullet piercing the palate and exiting through the occipital lobe." The corpse was found at the center of concentric maze of ten-foot-high hedges, in a chess-board shaped clearing paved with squares of white and black marble. A person of some social stature when he was alive, the lifeless Frisch must have appeared like a fallen chess piece.

The only clue to this curious death was found on his desk: an odd chess set--light and dark patches of coarse cloth sewn together with buttons of different sizes representing the pieces-- in a complicated middle game position.

Post mortem in medical term is the examination of the corpse to determine the cause of death. In chess, it refers to the analysis of a game to determine the important turning points, the mistakes or blunders, and possible improvements to the play. In science, the dead does not come back to life to relive his life in a flash for the benefit of the examiner. In chess, the whole game may be recreated ad infinitum and the same moves may be reproduced before a novelty (presumably an improvement over what was previously played) is made over the board.

Paolo Maurensig conducts the post mortem in The Luneburg Variation, as he retraces the variations prior to Frisch's death. The result is a whodunnit like no other: existential, metaphysical, mysterious, intriguing, gripping. This book demands from its readers attention and respect.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luneburg Variation.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly yes! 5 stars!

Emir Never Joselito, Wesley should read this. Or other chess players. This is a great book for playing chess in my opinion. The operative word: FOCUS.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly i agree. And also The Queen's Gambit, because in some chapters there the operative word is SEX.

Emir Never Joselito wrote: "i agree. And also The Queen's Gambit, because in some chapters there the operative word is SEX."

Haha!

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly in one scene, sex with a trainer. after analyzing a russian champion's games. You're drooling already.

Emir Never Joselito wrote: "in one scene, sex with a trainer. after analyzing a russian champion's games. You're drooling already."

I should read that after I finished Auto-da-Fé to refresh my eyes.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly You're an amazingly fast reader! I hope that now, after two months with that book, you've reached already where the dwarf Fischerle is.

Emir Never Joselito wrote: "You're an amazingly fast reader! I hope that now, after two months with that book, you've reached already where the dwarf Fischerle is."

I accidentally left Auto-da-Fe when I went home to Bicol so I haven't finished it yet. I'm still on the marital woes of the odd couple.