Annika's Reviews > A Girl Named Zippy

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel

Nov 17, 10

First of all, my entire life I've known that Mooreland, Indiana exists. It is a very small town, a dot on a map in east central Indiana, and my dad's old stomping grounds. He is a Hoosier through and through, and Mooreland is the center of his web of tales involving his own childhood and growing up in a small Indiana town (John Cougar Mellencamp has nothing on my dad's stories ;)

So I'm at a family reunion and all weekend I'm hearing snippets of "that book". "That book" turns out to be Haven Kimmel's "A Girl Named Zippy" and my dad and his 9 siblings do NOT like this book. They find it offensive and untrue. See, Moorelandites stick together. And when someone from that small town publishes a memoir about her life in that town and families are mentioned by name...well, that gets hackles up.

For the record, my dad is about twenty years older than "Zippy". His own memories will obviously not be the same as Haven Kimmel's (not her real name either). But his family took great offense to this book, so obviously I had to read it.

It's just a simple story about a girl growing up in Mooreland, Indiana. She does mention families by name, in her own memories, and who's to say if those are true or not? Those are HER memories. They may be embellished, but I promise most anyone else writing a memoir has to embellish somewhat because to remember back that far, you are also taking pieces of other people's stories to you. Or things you've heard your entire life.

Not a terrible book, but I only read it to see what the fuss was about. I let my dad go through my copy and make his own notations. The one thing he agrees with Zippy on is that her dad was a dishonest drunk.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Named Zippy.