Debbie's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

1945325
Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: lady-in-red, faceless

Excuse me while I gush because I absolutely loved this book! Despite knowing my 18 month old likes to wake up early I stayed up late reading because I just had to finish this book. I will admit it took me a bit to get into it and I actually put it aside to read something else but once it picked up and I could not put it down. What initially caught my eye was that the idea of returning to the surface for 6 months before having to return to the Everneath made me think it was going to incorporate the mythology of Hades and Persephone. What was nice was it did blend in aspects of Hades and Persephone as well as Orpheus and Eurydice in a seamless manner that made the story intriguing with enough originality to keep this book from being just a modern day retelling of the myths.

Jack is by far my favorite character in the book. I adored him for his sweetness, loyalty and I loved that he was made so much more realistic with his freaking out at certain revelations instead of blindly accepting them as often happens in these types of books. I sympathized with Nikki because I can only imagine how horrible it would be to lose your mother and then to have your father accept the killer getting off on a technicality basically for political reasons. So even though Jack is so obviously in love with her I can understand why she was an easy mark for Cole to instill doubts about the relationship. Cole was a complicated character who at first just seems evil for duping innocent girls into being stuck in the Everneath but as the story goes on we see more and more complex layers to him.

Another reason why I enjoyed this story is although the synopsis makes it sound like there is a love triangle this isn't the typical YA, paranormal love triangle story. While Cole may have feelings for Nikki she is unwavering in her love for Jack and he is obviously still in love with her. That just makes their situation that much more tragic and you are rooting for them to find a way to be together.

If I had to choose a downside of the book I could only say is the fact that it will leave you dying for the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.