N_katieg52's Reviews > Don't Forget Your Etiquette!: The Essential Guide to Misbehavior

Don't Forget Your Etiquette! by David J. Greenberg

Nov 17, 10

bookshelves: poetry

Are you tired of doing what adults tell you to do? Are you tired of hearing the word “etiquette”? Don’t Forget Your Etiquette!: The Essential Guide to Misbehavior is for you. It is told from a little girl’s (Miss Information) point of view. It takes the reader through several situations. This book uses a wealth of humor and is told in the form of a poem. All the poems have to do with a certain type of etiquette. Children will roll over in laughter while reading this book. I assume they will be thinking that Miss Information does not know everything and can start a great conversation about etiquette.

Above every silly poem is a quote about children’s etiquette. For example “The Etiquette of Quiet Places” begins with “A Child Should be Seen and Not Heard” which is an Old English Proverb. It is followed by a humorous poem that is written by “Miss Information” which mocks that phrase and talks about how loud and how adults expect kids to not even blink and stay perfectly still. I enjoyed reading this book of poems, and I believe our students would enjoy it even more. I believe that some of them would be rolling over in laughter. I think this would be a good book to discuss point of view, have the students create their own poem that could fit in this book or be a companion to a poem already in here. This book brings endless opportunities to the classroom. I think you could use this book with second grade on up, but I think starting in fourth grade they would really start to develop an appreciation for the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Forget Your Etiquette!.

message 1: by N_Heather (new)

N_Heather Sounds like a funny book and an excellent addition to the classroom or home library for that matter. I like the idea of using it for Point of View. This would be a great way to engage the students and have them understand POV before beginning to maybe write something from their own POV.

message 2: by N_katiebernard (new)

N_katiebernard I agree with both of you on using this book for point of view. What a fun way that students can relate to. Then, they can write their own books of etiquette! For a challenge, some can write from the point of view of a teacher or parent. Thanks for the suggestion Katie!

N_katieg52 This book is definitely a must have! Thanks for the ideas. I think there are many ways to use this book in the classroom!!! :) Happy Reading!