Melissa Westbrook's Reviews > Meanjin. Vol. 69, no. 3

Meanjin. Vol. 69, no. 3 by Sophie Cunningham

Nov 17, 10

Read in November, 2010

This is the first copy of Meanjin I've ever picked up. I've been a fan of the broad array of writing to be found in the Griffith Review for several years and this title was offered as part of a subscription deal, so I decided to get the latest one next time I was in the shop. Which was going to be never because they have hardly any stockists in each state and so I made a special trip to Imprints Books on Hindley Street in Adelaide.

What I liked about Meanjin, or at least this edition as I'm yet to have read any other, is that the essays are all quite personable and down to earth, relating well to things that take place in everyday life. The two in particular I'm thinking of when I say this were the recount of the history of Victorian Liquor licensing laws, which trailed the cultural history of Melbourne itself (new laws were brought to reflect the cultural maturity that came with the influx of immigrants decades earlier and bringing with it the European appreciation of fine alcohols) and the essay on the controversy that surrounded the publishing of "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote.

These sorts of essay collections always lead to a deluge of literary delights to be experienced as well as the sharing of ideas, which is why they are so important - they are in many ways part of the public discussion. This title is no exception.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meanjin. Vol. 69, no. 3.