Joshua's Reviews > Childhood's End

Jan 21, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi-and-fantasy
Read in January, 2002

I've always felt a bit mixed about Childhood's End . While at times the writing felt bogged down and a little sluggish, the ideas and concepts Clarke comes up with are astounding and thought provoking. This is a story not just about man's first contact with an alien species and creating a utopia, but also about man's eventual evolution and transformation, by breaking off the shackles of its previous existence.
Clarke has always been intrigued by the idea of transcending ones body and achieving a greater understanding of the universe, much as in the Christian belief of the "Rapture." This is seen in Childhood's End , but is most famous, and prominent, in Clarke's "masterpiece" 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Like I previously stated, I really wanted to like this book more because the ideas and concepts presented in it have fascinated me ever since I read them. However, there are overall too many pacing and narrative holes to give this higher than a 3-rating. Still, if only for the concepts, I really recommend this. It's one of those books that will leave you unsatisfied yet unable to stop thinking about it, and not many books can say that.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Childhood's End.