Antonio's Reviews > Darkness on the Edge of Town

Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene

Nov 17, 10

bookshelves: horror, not-very-good

This being my first horror I wasn't at all impressed. I had trouble getting all the way to the end and contemplated giving up all together a few times. The characters where very hard to like. Their was not enough character development outside of the fact that they drank and smoked a lot. The over the top use of swearing made it feel even more cheap.

Not enough effort was put into aspects of the story that needed it while other parts was over emphasises almost to the point of ridiculous(e.g. the pets store indecent, specifically the bit where Robbie was strangling Christy) . Maybe because this book was being told from the point of view of someone that wasn't very bright, maybe some of the not so good bits in the book was a deliberate attempt by Brian Keene to tell the story from a less Refined perspective. This is the Only Brian Keene book I've ever read so I'm not sure.

Because This book was left so open I'm of the conclusion that this actually did not take place. Throughout the book it was made perfectly clear that these characters where active drug users so I came to the conclusion that they or Rather Robbie took some thing that didn't agree with him and it really did a number on his brain. As said early on in the book he had no Idea how long its been since the sun was up. Maybe he just imagined it all.

This had a real B movie feel to it and I wouldn't be surprised if I watched zone horror and saw something similar. I'd recommend borrowing this from the library if you really wanted to read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness on the Edge of Town.