Cornmaven's Reviews > Revolver

Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick

Nov 17, 10

bookshelves: high-school, middle-school, ms-hs
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This was very disappointing. It was billed as a survival story, but in fact was a weak intellectual cat and mouse game. I particularly did not like the postscript which talked about the Sig's family being unable to do anything with the money that their father basically stole from people except buy a stake in an iron mine and live richly. I beg to differ. The guy stole the gold, a little at a time, and the right thing to do was to give the money away to someone needy.

While Wolf's character was just as nasty as Inar's, from the standpoint of thievery, I appreciated his tenacity in pursuing his end of the deal, and after that postscript I sort of sympathized with him a little.

I didn't really feel that the quotes about the power of guns, in the end, helped advance the story.

Just all around a disappointing book.

As a audiobook, I hated it. The reader affected voices that were just over the top. I did not like his choice for Wolf, and thought it was not a good characterization. And his women's voices were horrible. It would have been better not to try that at all. NPR's host of Selected Shorts makes a point that readers should NOT do voices, and in this case that should have been heeded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolver.