Lily's Reviews > His For The Holidays

His For The Holidays by Josh Lanyon

Dec 16, 10

bookshelves: ebook, anthology-collection, m-m, loved-it, shelf-a-thon-2010-to-11, what-i-read-in-2010
Read from November 24 to 28, 2010, read count: 1

This anthology contains four stories all centered around finding love during the Christmas holiday. The stories share the Christmas theme but are quite different one from the other and all are very well written.

In Mistletoe at Midnight by L.B. Gregg we meet former high school sweethearts Owen and Caleb. When Owen walks into the inn where he's spending Christmas with his family he's shocked to see Caleb, the man who'd broken his heart fifteen years earlier. A fun but interfering family, an ex unexpectedly showing up and a snow storm that strands the protagonists together leads to secrets being revealed. This emotional story also is filled with humor and some sweet and sexy scenes. A wonderful story of second chances.

Nine Lights Over Edinburgh bt Harper Fox, the second story in the anthology, was very slow going for me for the first half but I was hooked on it by the end. James is a police detective who walks a thin line as he deals with his job, a drinking problem, his ex-wife and a young daughter. He's not a terribly sympathetic character, in fact at first I really didn't like him at all, and I almost gave up on the story. I'm so glad I didn't because as the story goes on his true character starts to shine through, it's almost like peeling an onion, as layer after layer is removed until the true man is revealed. Toby, the Israeli policeman that helps James and ultimately brings love and light to his life was a great foil for him. It's at times a very dark story but there is a well-deserved HEA for James.

I Heard Him Exclaim by Z.A. Maxfield is a sweet, humorous story. Steve is a former jolly 'Santa' who's no longer in the Christmas spirit since he had to lose weight, and therefore his Santa body, due to a heart condition. Since his family is majorly into the holiday season he decides to head to Las Vegas for some different kind of fun. Along the way he meets Chandler and his 5 year old niece. When they're stranded due to car problems Steve takes them back home with him. Chandler's a bit uptight since he's new at parenting and his niece was a cutie. Ms. Maxfield once again delivered a heartwarming, funny, sexy story. I liked the epilogue which showed them a bit later on in their relationship since the actual story takes place in just a couple of days.

The last story is Icecapade by Josh Lanyon and was very entertaining. Former thief Noel has never forgotten his one night of passion with Robert, an FBI agent. It's been a few years since then and Noel has retired and is now a well published author. When Robert unexpectedly shows up at his house Noel is excited to finally get the chance to deal with their one night together. But Robert's come to investigate a rash of new burglaries and Noel appears to be his main suspect. This very well written story was a great way to close out the anthology. I really enjoyed the storyline of the former thief and his lawman, there is great chemistry and sexual tension between them, the dialogue is quite witty and life on the farm, even rescuing llamas, has never been quite so sexy.

In all this was an amazingly well put together anthology. Four great stories from four great authors. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His For The Holidays.

11/28/2010
100.0% "What a fabulous book. Four great stories by four great authors!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ava (new) - added it

Ava Fabulous reviews, Lily! :)

Lily Ava wrote: "Fabulous reviews, Lily! :)"

Thanks, Ava! :)

Drew Terrific review, Lily

Lily Drew wrote: "Terrific review, Lily"

Thanks, Drew! :)

message 5: by Reggie (new)

Reggie Did you see that the Authors recently wrote Christmas Snippets for these MC's?
Check it out here - http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

Lily Reggie wrote: "Did you see that the Authors recently wrote Christmas Snippets for these MC's?
Check it out here - http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_..."

Thanks for the info, Reggie. :)