Kereesa's Reviews > Betrayals

Betrayals by Lili St. Crow

Nov 17, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, young-adult, were-something, vampires, 2011, whiny-heroes-that-piss-me-off, we-are-never-getting-back-together
Recommended for: Did you enjoy the first one in this series?
Read from August 23 to 25, 2011

Betrayals is the second novel in Lili St. Crow's Strange Angels series (and what is with that title btw?), and starts right off where Strange Angels, the first novels, finishes. Dru and Graves are now attending a Schola full of werewolf and vampire boys and teachers who are all obsessed with the Dru's true form, the Svetcha, a rare form of Dhampir, ie a girl Dhamp. Anyway, because of who she is Dru becomes more and more isolated from the students, as well as any form of training. What's worse is the distance she feels between her and Graves, Christophe's silence, and the knowledge of a betrayer in her midst.

I wasn't too much of a fan of the first novel in this series, but heard it does get better and picked up the next two for the heck of it. Sadly, I just couldn't get into Betrayals. Maybe it was because it sort of suddenly changed from typical urban supernatural-hunting fantasy into more of a vampire academy story setting, and maybe because there suddenly became less of a focus on the other monsters/supernatural beings, and more on the struggles between the vamps, dhamps and wolves, but I just felt blah about the whole thing.

So most of the story really focuses on Dru's interactions with her classmates (when she goes to class), and her periodical freak-outs about who's out to kill/why isn't she being trained/and the death of her father, which while are all understandable, but sadly a bit annoying when you're told over and over again by Dru and everyone else essentially (as well as the back of the book...) how STRONG and EXPERIENCED AT KILLING THINGS she is.

All I ask is for proof.

I'm probably being a bit unfair here, since Dru does do some things...that I can't think of at the moment. But most of the time, she's very whiny, and that grates my nerves quite a bit. I'm particular about my characters, especially the heroines, so consider this could possibly be just a nitpick of mine.

The other characters I enjoyed for the most part. Graves is still my favorite of this series, and my pick out of this love triangle thing St. Crow is writing. Christophe feels like every vampire/dhampire hero I've ever met, and strangely really reminds me of Dimitri from Vampire Academy. The random Russian?Idunno? words thrown in nearly every 5th word or so didn't help that imagery much. The other two wolves who actually are characters I thought balanced the group out well with their cuteness and sternness respectively.

And yes, I cannot for the life of me remember their names.

For a paranormal novel, there's quite a bit of unaction in this novel. Most of, as I've said, revolves around whiny Dru whining, as well as several repeated flashbacks that get more than a little frustrating at some points. I can't tell if the author just wanted to hit a certain word limit and couldn't, but seriously? Repetition really dulls any emotion I had for the scenes or what the character is going through. The book in all actuality also doesn't really have much going for it beyond the whining and what I assume is meant to be character development, and feels a lot like filler.

The writing it fairly decent, though I really couldn't get into it, and had to put down the book after a few chapters periodically for no apparent reason other than I just couldn't read it anymore.

All in all, Betrayals is a good enough book if you enjoyed the first one quite a bit, and like paranormal fantasy. Don't expect too much romance though, if there's one thing this book is skimpy on it's that. And action. Plenty of scenes watching your 'bad-ass' heroine nearly cry though. 3/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayals.