Deja's Reviews > The Complete Poems

The Complete Poems by Emily Dickinson

Nov 17, 2010

Read from November 17, 2010 to November 10, 2013

Been reading around in this every morning and drinking it in like I've never done before. Perhaps enjoying it more because I'm not worrying about the ones I don't "get": with a volume like this (of ALL 1,775 poems she wrote), I'm just assuming there are poems that didn't work out, and if I just don't love one, I can go to the next. There are so many to choose from that I just let my eyes sort of skim, even head for all of the shorties if they wish. Been also copying down lines that resonate with me, as this seems to help them stick to my ribs a bit more. After this one I'll post (which reminds me so much of Kay Ryan's work), I was thinking "cedar feet" all day long, and that's not a bad thing to have stuck in my head. Cedar feet, cedar feet, cedar feet. It feels like Dickinson has reminded me why I need poetry in order to feel connected to the world. "Less lonely by one"--as Kay Ryan says.

There is a strength in proving that it can be borne
Although it tear--
What are the sinews of such cordage for
Except to bear
The ship might be of satin had it not to fight--
To walk on the seas requires cedar feet
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Poems.

11/10/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry Earley It is so very odd what phrases get stuck in your head. Last week while reading Jeremiah for SS lesson, the phrase, "what is the chaff to the wheat?" stuck with me so that I wrote it on the board so we would discuss it.

Maybe Emily would be too much for me, but reading poetry each morning should be a lifting exercise.

message 2: by Deja (new) - added it

Deja That is a great phrase from Jeremiah.

And reading poetry every morning seems to be rescuing me. I recommend the practice.