Carina 's Reviews > This Side of the Grave

This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Feb 25, 11

bookshelves: adult
Read from February 23 to 24, 2011

The intoduction to this book was so good! I was hooked on the first page and then...it just kinda fell a little flat.
Maybe it was just that my expectations were way way high, but I never felt like I was on the edge of my seat like with the previous books. After a couple chapters it starts to pick up but, like I said, I didn't feel the adrenalin rushing like with the other books. The usual spark uniting Bones and Cat was missing and I was dissappointed to see just a few scenes where I trully enjoyed them together, where they felt like their old fun selves.
Don't fret cause of course I enjoyed the book. Cat has matured soo much, and her realationship with Bones is really strong. Chapter 21 was very sexy, if you don't believe me then let me quote Bones for you:(view spoiler)
Although I felt bad for Tate. I just want to console him(*wink*) and help him get over Cat once and for all. I don't remember since what book I saw coming what happened to Don. I was starting to think Ms. Frost forgot about him, but it finally caught up to him, and it wasn't something good either. The little twist in the end was half a surprise. I thought it might happen, but didn't give it much thought.

In this book we see a more romantic Cat and Bones, which is good, I just have to adjust my view on them. I was very happy to find an excerp of the next Night Huntress book on the last pages of TSOTG in my kindle. It will be called On Grave at a Time and its expected to come out Fall 2011.
Hopefully I'll enjoy that one more than I did this. But like I said, I still loved this book. =)

****Edit**** 02/25/2011
I would like to add that I am a dedicated, obsessed Night Huntress reader. I love the series, and so far I love all the books. I know it may seem like the book wasn't my favorite from my review, and you're right, it wasn't. But the book was still good people! There is alot of humour, and sexiness and most importantly: Cat, Bones and Vlad!(Also Mencheres, who is very rapidly growing on me!)
So there is no way in hell that I plan on giving up this series. I love it till death do us part. And If I may AGAIN quote Bones, "No matter what happens, you will never lose me, I am forever yours, Kitten, in this life or the next." Ofcourse, Im not just talking to Cat(Kitten), I'm talking to the whole series and Ms Frost too.*Grins*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of the Grave.

Quotes Carina Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand.” (Bones)”

Jeaniene Frost
“See?” I’d whispered to Bones, nudging him with a grin. “He never argues with her. Isn’t that sweet?”
A snort preceded his response. “Keep dreaming, pet.”

Jeaniene Frost
“No matter what happens, you will never lose me, I am forever yours, Kitten, in this life or the next.”

Jeaniene Frost
“My dear Reaper," Vlad said, still laughing. 'Did you just check out our-'
'No!' I interrupted at once, almost lunging toward the staircase. 'I'm tired and still dazed from the Remanats and ... fuck it, I'm taking a shower. I mean, not a cold shower, because I don't need that.' -oh Jesus I was only making this worse- 'because I am cold already, and I need to get hot. I mean, warmer. Oh just shut up!' " -Pg 280”

Jeaniene Frost
“I love your hands,' he sighed. 'You think I look like an angel? Well, Kitten, your hands are my heaven and your eyes are my home.'" (Bones)”

02/23/2011 page 180

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brittany Is it good

Carina Yes it is!...but...

Brittany but what!???

Carina Mmm I dont know...pls pls PLEASE dont get me wrong, cause the book is great. But so far it feels like a 4 star book not a 5 star. I cant really point my finger on what its missing to make it a 5 star....

Brittany Awwww ;/..theres Vlad right? *Please let there be*

Carina Yes!! God I know how you feel....I adore Vlad! Sorry you're not enjoying Spade's book. But you'll be thrilled to know that there's plenty of Vlad on EKoD(Mencheres book).

Brittany I love him yeah!! I dunno I love Bones too but I love Vlad too. I'm just skimming spades one. I can't wait to read Mencheres one though!!I mean I like Spade and all but the story is so meh.

Carina Ian is one of the things I enjoyed in Spade's book. The book was just...good.
I hope I get to the part where Im blown away by TSOTG....

Brittany Yeah I read the bits with him xD skimming everything else.

I really hope there is a part like that..I'll hopefully get it next week.

Carina There are alot of funny quotes but I dont want to spoil for you. It'll be that much funnier when you stumble upon it on your reading!

Brittany Carina wrote: "There are alot of funny quotes but I dont want to spoil for you. It'll be that much funnier when you stumble upon it on your reading!"

Haha I've already one quote from it. A really funny one

message 12: by Jess (last edited Feb 25, 2011 02:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess OMG! I want to read this boook NOWWWW!!!!

After you put this (view spoiler) in your review (I'm sorry it was just too tempting not too look) I really HAVE to read this book! Grrrr I can't wait until March 1st!!!

Carina Chapter 21 was HOT! I dont know if it was as hot as Chap 32 but its pretty darn close! Thank goodness March 1st is so close now, you and Brit must be going Nuts waiting for this!

message 14: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Its driving me insane. I still have to finish Destined for an Early Grave, but I'll have that finished tonight for sure...but have to wait until March 1st for TSOTG.

Carina Hang in there Jess! Think about Bones and Vlad! (I dont know if you've read the NHW books, but after EKoD Mencheres seems pretty darn sexy to me!)

message 16: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess I haven't yet, but I've ordered First Drop of Crimson so that's on its way, but I've heard that EKoD is much better!

Carina FDoC was good but I liked EKoD more. I might be one of the few though, cause most people I've talked to, likes Spade's book better.
Either way, both books are good, but Mencheres book was way more sexual than Spade's. (IMO) Maybe thats one of the reasons I find Mencheres very yummy now!

Brittany I'm read Mencheres now and its better!! and doesnt it have vlad?? Its already better!

Carina I'm so glad you're enjoying EKoD!
Mencheres is growing on me ALOT!

Brittany Carina *Tepesh* wrote: "I'm so glad you're enjoying EKoD!
Mencheres is growing on me ALOT!"

Hes SEXY..

Carina Yes he is!

Brittany Need Vlad to hurry up and show his face though