Iffath's Reviews > Scarlett Dedd

Scarlett Dedd by Cathy Brett

Nov 17, 2010

bookshelves: uk-ya
Read in August, 2010

I LOVED Cathy's other illustrated novel Ember Fury, so when a copy of Scarlett Dedd popped through my letter box, I was so excited!

When Scarlett accidentally kills herself and the rest of her family in a horrible attempt to get out of going to the school trip, she has found that being dead is really quite lonely without her friends (Psycho, Ripley, JP and Taz- amazing and crazy names, I know!!)..but it does have some perks! Scarlett's new mission is to try and get her friends to join her, but will it all work out?!

This book was awesome. Like, very. The characters were fantastic and so quirky! I really enjoyed reading Cathy's take on 'the afterlife'. It was fun and different, if only it was like that in real life! She managed to weave in reality through parts that you think couldn't be real in a million years! I also really liked Scarlett's blog. The little extracts of what she wrote were really funny and witty, I could really imagine her saying those things out loud.

Another thing I have to give a little mention is that I'm really glad that Scarlett's parents were actually *in* the story unlike many other books today, and that they *acted* like parents do in real life ;) Yay for parents! Or maybe not so yay.. :/

Like in Ember Fury, Brett's illustrations really brought the story to life. The words and the pictures work together marvellously and make this a really attention-grabbing, exceptional book. I really enjoyed the whole interactiveness of Scarlett Dedd. There were parts that had me twisting and turning (the ice skating part me LOL, although it was a bit awkward when my family were all in the room thinking I had lost the plot!) my head and seriously, even if you didn't like the book (which I'm sure you definitely won't!), Scarlett Dedd gives you the most extraordinary, enjoyable experience and I applaud Cathy for that.

Thanks to Headline for publishing another great title and sending me a copy for review - it gets top marks for originality!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlett Dedd.