Iffath's Reviews > Dark Goddess

Dark Goddess by Sarwat Chadda

Nov 17, 10

Read in August, 2010

I really enjoyed the first installment, Devil's Kiss; it was an amazing novel and I have to say I felt a bit weary about what could top it, would Chadda be able to create an equally fantastic sequel? Or would it all go down the drain? But when I starting reading Dark Goddess, I was amazed yet again because this story was even better than the first one and I enjoyed every minute of it.

In this book, the action is taken place across London and Russia; the Russian setting was beautiful, it introduced us to the chilly streets of Moscow and all of the Russian folklore, including that of the legend of Baba Yaga. Ivan was an interesting new character; he and Billi were so alike in more ways than one, and I really liked that. He coped well under all the pressure that was loaded onto him which is a good trait to have , but I still think my favourite character had to be Vasalisa - she was very wise for her age and I felt myself warming to her immediately. The things she was able to do creeped me out just a little bit, (admit it, they were pretty scary! Except maybe the flower bit, that was just cool), but it was also very fascinating and got me thinking about what would happen if she was taken to Baba Yaga and what would become of the world then.
Baba Yaga has her reasons though, her plan to destroy the human race makes sense, after all, is it not the humans that are helping to contribute to the damage that is being done to the planet? Although it's Billi's job to protect mankind, just reading will make you understand how much of a threat we humans really are to the Earth.

I think Billi's character developed more in Dark Goddess. There was more interaction between her and her father and it actually felt like they were father-daughter, rather than just people who fought together. I think Arthur still treats Billi less like his daughter and more like a Templar but I think that's just what it's like when you have a life like theirs.

Reading my review properly, I've realised I haven't gushed as much as the book deserves, but I shall put it all into a sentence that I have written somewhere on the blog before (more or less): THIS BOOK IS EFFING AMAZING I WANT TO PUT THE WHOLE BOOK ON HERE BECAUSE EVERYBODY NEEDS TO READ IT. READ IT. READ IT. READ IT. Read it?

Dark Goddess is an enthralling installment, full of action, enchantment and battle scenes that will leave you speechless. Thanks again to Sarwat for letting me take part in his blog tour for Dark Goddess and for my (very pretty) review copy of it :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Goddess.