Raja99's Reviews > Deathworld 2

Deathworld 2 by Harry Harrison

U 50x66
Nov 17, 10

Read in November, 2010, read count: 2

Why I Reread This Book: My good friend Gregory posted spoilery messages about this book on our SF discussion mailing list, so I decided to reread it.

This is my favorite of Harrison's Deathworld books; I'd rate this about 9 out of 10 (4.5 if Goodreads allowed it). I suspect I didn't care as much for it as a kid; neither this nor Deathworld 3 spends more than a few pages on the title planet. In this one, Jason gets kidnapped by a humorless prig to face trial and execution for cheating at gambling on a faraway world; he manages to shipwreck himself and the prig on a primitive world of constantly-warring technological guilds.

My inner 14-year-old ate this up, and some of the more cynical touches that I would have disbelieved (or missed) as a younger reader seem all too plausible now. (One of my favorite episodes of Firefly wasn't based on a few sentences near the beginning of this book, but it very easily could have been ;-).

If you approach it with a more adult mindset, you might be as appalled as the prig by Jason's cavalier disregard for the wars that will almost certainly follow from his actions. On the other hand, you might be appalled by the lengths Jason goes to to keep the prig alive and kicking ;-). But if you approach it with about the same lightheartedness that the author seems to have done, this is fast paced, funny, suspenseful, and a little thought provoking.

(Finished 2010-11-08 13:53:53.4 EST +/- 0.03s . I think; the timezone in Timestamp is confused.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deathworld 2.