Kelsey Carroll's Reviews > We are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball

We are the Ship by Kadir Nelson

4205738
Nov 17, 10

Read in November, 2010

I really enjoyed this book. I went into it with a positive outlook for a couple of different reasons. The first reason being that I have been involved in sports since I have been about five years old. Also, in my athletic career I have played with a lot of African American players. Lastly, but most importantly, my grandmother was the pitcher for the Rockford Peaches (the team from the movie A League of Their Own). My grandmother went through a lot of struggles much like the team from We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball.
I really like how the author Kadir Nelson narrates the story of trials and successes as an anonymous player on the team. You feel a real sense of closeness to all of the players. You feel like you are connected to each of them. The players deal with racial discrimination and it paints a good picture of what the 1920's were really like for these African American baseball players.
I loved the oil painting that are dispersed through out the book. They really do a wonderful job of painting a realistic picture of the book. They are really very beautiful in their own way. Like I had mentioned before, this book was a great read for me, and I think it would be a great book to read during a unit on Civil Rights. It would be great for boys in your class. Like we discussed in class, often read a louds are geared towards girls, but this would be perfect read aloud for boys.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We are the Ship.