The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)'s Reviews > The House at Sea's End

The House at Sea's End by Elly Griffiths

Nov 17, 2010

bookshelves: arc-and-review-copies, british-authors, comfort-reading, crime-mystery-thrillers, uk, read-in-2011
Read from January 10 to July 26, 2011

Elly Griffiths books are like my guilty pleasure without the guilt; I devour them and am always left wanting more.

The House at Sea’s End is the third book in the Ruth Galloway series. Ruth is a Forensic Archaeologist who lives on the Norfolk coast and examines bones for a living, sometimes having to help the police in their serious crimes unit to establish what may have happened to bones that can’t be immediately identified by the police. Ruth Galloway is one of my favourite crime heroines: she lives in a tiny cottage on a remote part of Norfolk by the salt marshes, she is slightly overweight, she has a cat, she reads lots of books and enjoys her own company – I heart Ruth! In this book, however, she has something other than serious crimes to concentrate on and that is motherhood. After a one-night stand with Detective Harry Nelson in the first book, Ruth has now given birth to Kate, whom turns out to be a whole mystery of her own. Of course, Nelson is back in this latest book too and I must admit to having a little crush on him.

The House at Sea’s End brings us the mystery of six skeletons that are found by a team of Archaeologists in the cliff’s on the Norfolk coast. Nelson and Ruth are amazed to discover that the bones are from Germany and could very well belong to German soldiers from WW2 – but how and why did they get there and who is trying to put them off the trail?

What I love about this series is that not only are these books great reading with a simplicity that makes me think of them as comfort reading (as opposed to hard-boiled crime fic) but the characters and so well drawn and developed throughout the books that I could read them for this alone; I just love following Ruth and Nelson’s story and meeting back up with characters such as Cathbad; it’s like meeting up with old friends. What I also love is the bleakness of the setting (and who can resist the covers for the books in this series?)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at Sea's End.

01/10/2011 page 32
9.0% "Ahhhh, it's good to be back." 2 comments
07/22/2011 page 290
82.0% "Love, love, love!!!"
show 2 hidden updates…

Cathleen I can't wait to read that one!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) It's another goodie, Cathleen. I love Ruth and Nelson!

Cathleen I know--I really love the unexpected twists and turns of their "relationship." The House....isn't being published here until January, so I'll have to wait quite a while before I get to read it. :(

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) Cathleen - it's just as good as the other two when it ended I shouted "NO!" I have to know what happens next..... (you'll see what I mean).

Cathleen How will I wait until next January when it's published here? :) Your review makes me know that it will be another "great" read, not just a good one!