Kristi's Reviews > A Redbird Christmas

A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg

Dec 13, 10

bookshelves: family, about-kids, heart-warming, friendship, holidays, humorous, romance
Recommended to Kristi by: The Next Best Book Club/ GR group
Recommended for: Anyone who loves what's best about Christmas time
Read on December 13, 2010

This was a very quick read for me as it was actually my 2nd time with the story. The first time was in audio, and this time was actually reading the book. There was no reason for the 2 different formats except for availability at the library at the time.

It had been about 3 or 4 years since I had "visited" Lost River, Alabama and its cast of characters, but I knew this was a lovely story and I was excited to revisit it.

The story starts with Mr. Campbell in Chicago, where he's told he needs to go south for his health. Lost River, Alabama is where he lands. There we meet Frances, Mildred, Dottie, Bettie and a few other ladies of the Polka Dots. The name of their group is a touch longer, but I'll let you discover that for yourself. We also meet Roy, Butch, Claude, and many other characters. Most especially we get to meet Patsy and Jack! What a pair!

The first time I heard this story was touched by it. I hate saying a thing like that, because it's sounds corny, but it's true. For me, this was a terribly sweet, heart-warming, touching story of Christmas and believing.

Though the reading of this story the 2nd time was very quick, it was only because I didn't have to pay attention to all of the little details. As soon as I started reading, I could already "see" everyone and the pictures of town in my head, as if I really had already been there. It was like visiting friends I hadn't seen in a really long time!

I loved this story the 1st, I especially loved it the 2nd time. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a Christmas story that focuses on what Christmas is supposed to be about: giving, caring, charity, thoughtfulness, love, and possibly miracles.

One day I will own a copy of this book, just because I loved it that much! It reminded me why I adore Fannie Flagg, and I'm probably going to go out and buy her new book which I've been hesitating on. Why was I hesitating? I no longer have any idea!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Redbird Christmas.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly I have this on hold at the library (just waiting for me to go pick it up). I am planning on reading it next week right before Christmas. Glad to hear you liked it!

Kristi I loooooved it both times. I think you'll like it too.

Kathy I read this last year for my Christmas book, Kristi, and I loved it, too! Definitely worth a reread.