Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)'s Reviews > A Midsummer Night's Dream

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: owned-paperback
Read from November 07 to 08, 2010, read count: 1

I got a copy of A Midsummer Night’s Dream because it had been quoted, retold or mentioned in several YA books I’ve read, so I got curious.

While I was reading through it, I was quizzical about the fact that this was a comedy. The plot seemed tragic for me, especially the short play about Phyramus and Thisbe; I read it from Edith Hamilton’s Mythology so I felt it to be sad and heartbreaking.

Anyway, when I got through the part where Lysander and Demetrius chasing each other through the woods, I laughed a little imagining how it would look like on an actual play on stage. I guess it was a comedy after all, knowing Puck’s stupidity or intentional prank towards his tasks and how awful the play of Phyramus and Thisbe turned out to be.

I am a bit puzzled with the writing style since the vocabulary is deep but I somehow managed to understand it. When I think of the characters, I wasn’t able to get to know them that well since their roles were simply stated bluntly and not as descriptive as I would like it to be.

When I finished reading this, I felt that there should’ve been more to it. It seemed the story was much too simple and that the idea of the tale had so much to offer.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Midsummer Night's Dream.