Bryan Glosemeyer's Reviews > The Diamond Age

1943691
Nov 25, 10

bookshelves: sci-fi, cyber-punk
Read from November 17 to 25, 2010

A really fascinating book, fairly early in Stephenson's career. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in sci-fi, nanotechnology, speculative fiction, etc. However, I kind of wish he had written this one a bit later in his career when perhaps he is more 'comfortable' with extended narrative. this was about 450 pages. the last 20-30 pages were epic, and in my opinion, a bit rushed. those last chapters could have easily been expanded into at least a hundred pages or more (if he was writing it now, I think). its also a bit uneven, with important characters in the first half of the book not even being mentioned in the second half of the book. That being said, I would in no way say this book isn't worth reading. As always with his books its chocked full of fascinating ideas and a completely elaborate and well thought out world.
I have to speculate that his books all take place in the same 'universe' (except for Anathem, of course, which takes place in a parallel universe). This books seems like it takes place in world which is the logical progression (80-100 yrs later)of the world introduced in Snow Crash. And I think the 'data haven' created in his book Cryptonomicon set up the possibility of the world of Snow Crash. And of course, the Baroque Cycle (which I plan on reading next) is a prelude to Cryptonomicon... but I digress.... The Diamond Age is an awesome book. Not Stephenson's best, but a damn good read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond Age.

Quotes Bryan Liked

Neal Stephenson
“The difference between stupid and intelligent people – and this is true whether or not they are well-educated – is that intelligent people can handle subtlety. ”
Neal Stephenson, The Diamond Age: or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer

Neal Stephenson
“He had some measure of the infuriating trait that causes a young man to be a nonconformist for its own sake and found that the surest way to shock most people, in those days, was to believe that some kinds of behavior were bad and others good, and that it was reasonable to live one's life accordingly.”
Neal Stephenson, The Diamond Age: or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer