Margot's Reviews > The Speckled People: A Memoir of a Half-Irish Childhood

The Speckled People by Hugo Hamilton

Mar 21, 11

Read from March 13 to 19, 2011

I don't really know what to think about this book. It has been hightly recommended to me by a couple of people who actually used to share my type of books so I was really expecting a great experience. But I have been quite disappointed. I don't know if it is the childish point of view (and language level) that lowed the experience but I didn't enjoy it as much as I was supposed to. Well, I truly believe that the time you read a book is a huge factor in your appreciation of it and with all the work I have to do, maybe the best circumstances were not reunited. I should give the book an other chance one day or another because I think that somewhere, in the corner of my mind, a part of the story caught my attention and in one way I'm convinced that the characters have a lot of thing to share with the reader.

So I will not write a long review because I think that it would not do this book a good justice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Speckled People.

message 1: by Florencia (new)

Florencia That is very true that circumstances influence the way in which we perceive a book/movie/etc. at a given moment. Sometimes the book is so amazing that it drags us out of whatever mood we're in & throws us into a totally different universe. But sometimes it's us that drag the book down with our current troubles... I guess it's a matter of chance - or fate, like everything else.