Hollowspine's Reviews > Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories

2069761
Aug 20, 14

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from May 08 to 12, 2012

Sleepwalk with Me is the short version of Mike Birbiglia's life. He tells stories of his awkward years at school, his family, his employment or lack thereof, and finally his REM sleep disorder. He talks about everything with this awkward magnifier, bringing everything that is funny about these sometimes not-so-funny moments into sharp focus.

I have heard him, as I'm sure many people who read this book have, on This American Life, I've seen some animations of his stories, the same stories that were retold here. So I could hear him telling the stories again as I read. And it was good. It was almost as if I were listening to the audio book version.

I think the best thing I can say for this book is that, if I found the audio book version I would listen to it. Even though I've heard him tell some of these stories on the radio, even though I've heard him tell these stories while watching animations on YouTube, even though I've already read the book, I would listen to them all again. While laughing, and not only laughing but also thinking, "Mike Birbiglia is awesome. I really want to hear more from Mike Birbiglia. Where can I find more Mike Birbiglia?"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories.