Jacqueline's Reviews > Hannah's List

Hannah's List by Debbie Macomber

Nov 17, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, from-the-library
Read from November 16 to 17, 2010

I've been avoiding this author, not consciously, just with an fairly good idea that what she writes is not really my cuppa. (Ahh...patio furniture novels). But I felt like it was time I tried one, so I'd know whether or not to recommend them. I tend to be not as interested in what I call 'sweet' or 'gentle' romances. This was definitely of that sort.

I will say that I did not like the choice to mix the 1st person POV of the hero with 3rd person POV for the three women involved. Pick one or the other. Mixing them is just laziness on the part of the author, in my opinion. Other than that the writing was competent. The plot and character motivations were clear. This was a book that depended mostly on the characters thoughts, followed next in importance by the conversations the characters had. Almost no effort was made to set any sort of scene. Descriptions of place or characters were practically nonexistant. While the fact that Hannah had died and Michael missed her was sad, the writing was not such that for me I felt any real need to cry or whatever. The writing style kept me a bit removed from the emotions of the story.

The heroine was an interesting character. You knew from the beginning which woman he would choose. I liked her ditsy artist style although she was just a bit too insecure. I would have liked her to be more self assured in her differentness. You didn't really see/experience the couple falling in love they just were which was fine in this light of a romance. The secondary characters were well drawn. I was almost as interested in seeing the two women he didn't choose get the opportunity to mend things with the men they really loved as I was to see Michel get his HEA. I also really liked the old man, Harvey.

If you're looking for excitement, drama, angst etc., not going to find it here. If you want a sweet story with people who seem true to life, a story that you could see actually happening in real life, this is perfect for you. This was nice, I enjoyed it, for myself though, I just want a wilder ride in my fiction. I can say though that I can happily and confidently recommend DM's books to customers who tell me they want something sweet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hannah's List.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Judy Jacqueline, you said so well some points about this book. I just finished it & after writing my review of it, am reading what others have written. I agree, but hadn't put my finger on what you said about mixing POV "1st person POV of the hero with 3rd person POV for the three women involved."
However, I thought the mending of relationships of the other two women was too predictable. Also, the neighbor, Harvey, was a bit over drawn, I thought. But thanks for your review, it gave me more food for thought.