Tara's Reviews > Ship of Fools

Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter

Nov 17, 2010

liked it

Very ambitious novel and, perhaps inevitably, flawed. But a great read nonetheless. The huge cast of characters gets confusing at times so the list at the beginning is useful. Also, there are certain characters that the reader will latch onto as a guide throughout the book. I can't understand why this is out of print, my copy was a cheap 1980s paperback which didn't do the text much justice. Katherine Anne Porter is an underrated author who I feel I can learn much from, and Ship of Fools really should be reissued as a Penguin modern classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship of Fools.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book. Odd thing is, it's the only Porter I've ever read. Have you read any of her other works?

Tara I've been interested in reading Porter for a while, but this is the first book I've found. Good to know you recommend it, as we generally do agree on these things!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

There was a decent film made of it-- but as is often the case-- the book is even better. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Tara, your opinin means a great deal to me so I was pleased to see that your thoughts match mine on this great work. Have you read any of her other writings?

Tara Not yet, but I hope to. She wrote mainly novellas and short stories (including Pale Rider.) I can see how her way of interweaving vignettes would lend itself to shorter forms. Off to see if I can find the movie now!