Sonya Doernberg's Reviews > My Hollywood

F 50x66
Nov 24, 10

liked it
Read from November 12 to 24, 2010

I'll miss reading this book and definitely feel like I've lost a friend now that I'm done. At the same time, the book illudes the kind of depth and writing that would make it "literary fiction" as opposed to just "chick lit." Every time you think the story will get deeper, you get thrown back in shallow waters--very disappointing but true to Hollywood.

As far as chick lit-goes, the writer seems heavy-handed with her humor as compared to Jennifer Wiener or Sophie Kinsella both of whom are much lighter on their feet(and funnier) when it comes to punch-line delivery. In contrast, Mona Simpson's punchlines are thrown out at the reader as afterthoughts without sufficient set-up or good timing. She is funny but doesn't deliver her humor well.

In summary, I was definitely entertained, but did not walk away from the book with any interesting insights. Perhaps the writer was hoping for mini-series while writing this book??

I'm on page 124. The narration alternates between the mother and the live-in nanny. I'm interested in reading the chapters narrated by the mother, but not those narrated by the nanny. I even thought of giving up while reading one of the "nanny" chapters. However, the following "mother" chapter kept me going. I don't find the nanny narration convincing or real. I don't think the author really knows her nanny character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Hollywood.