Lis's Reviews > The Devil's Highway: A True Story

May 19, 07

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in October, 2004

I read this book while on a visit to Salt Lake City. Until it was done, I did not look up as we drove around town, and did not contribute to conversations with our friends there. I just sat and read, until it was done. Like "Morir en el intento", it is a real tragedy that happened as a group tried to cross the desert into the US. Unlike that other book though, this doesn't read like a newspaper as much. The author weaves us in and out of the story of the journey itself, using what the survivors told him while offering us possibilities of what might have happened whenever there's a gap. He also completely separates from the story at times to explain something the immigrants didn't know at the time. For example, you will learn more about what happens if you drink your own urine than you probably wanted to know.

As a daughter of immigrants, as someone who lived almost all her life by the border, with family on both sides, I've heard the tragedies of the desert before. People who go in don't always come out, never to be heard from again. What happens to them? Or I guess we know that, but what did they go through? More answers are in this book than I've ever found anywhere else.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Highway.