Misty's Reviews > The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer

The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee

Nov 16, 2010

Read from April 09, 2012 to October 05, 2014

This book is so many things. It's a history book, medical thriller, horror story, genetics primer, a story of underdogs, and most of all a book of compassion. It walks the fine line between giving us the bad news that we're all doomed and offering us a glimpse of hope. It's written with the subtlety of literature; the last page of the book definitely left me puzzled, in a good, thought provoking way, about what exactly he's trying to say. There's a portion of the book that was especially chilling, as the author gives a timeline for how a normal cell becomes cancerous. You can practically feel the cancer growing inside of you. A chapter later I was crying when he tells the story of a woman who was given months to live and then saved through an experimental drug. Like any great biography, This book not only imparted information, but it also made me feel. The skill this book is written with is pretty amazing, and it serves a great purpose, as we all know people struck by cancer and we all struggle to wrap our heads around it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor of All Maladies.

10/05/2014 marked as: read