Jenn's Reviews > A Thousand Cuts

A Thousand Cuts by Simon Lelic

Nov 16, 10

bookshelves: library-books
Read in November, 2010

I read this all in one evening when I should have been doing something else. Excellently paced story...thriller? mystery? It's one of those stories where the voice of the narrator seems to shift a lot but it is the voice of several interviewees. That is the sort of device that I quite enjoy, though I know it can bother other people.

It takes place around an incident in a British public high school, where a teacher opens fire on a school assembly and kills three students, a teacher, and himself. When Detective Inspector May begins investigating, she discovers that it is more than just an open and shut case. As she uncovers the very modern bullying in the background of this school, it becomes clear that it isn't the easy case that her superiors want it to be. As DI May investigates, it also becomes clear that her own professional life is rife with conflict behind the scenes.

These two paragraphs that I've just typed don't really capture the intensity and spectacular pacing of this story. And, of course, bullying is a really timely topic right now. I definitely recommend this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Cuts.