Carly's Reviews > Amy Inspired

Amy Inspired by Bethany Pierce

Nov 16, 2010

Read from November 16 to 21, 2010

When I am deciding whether or not to read a book there is usually something about the book that I am drawn to that makes me interested enough to read on. Often it is where a book takes place, but other times it is something about the characters that I think I will relate to.

In the case of Amy Inspired, I was drawn to Amy’s love of words and to her uncertainty about what she wanted to do with her life. I know what it is like to struggle with that issue. Once I got into this book however, I found myself not really relating to Amy much at all. She and I are very different. Actually, I started to think she was a bit pretentious, but the more I got to know her, the less I felt that way. The character of Amy probably embodies the types of struggles young, single Christian women experience. Bethany brings these struggles into the story in an honest and edgy way. This could prove offensive to a more sensitive Christian audience, but I have a certain appreciation for authors who present reality in such a manner. Amy Inspired does not fit the usual Christian fiction formula. I like that formula, but I also like books that are different.

Bethany Pierce is a very good writer. This book was a surprisingly fast read despite the complex story and attention to detail. I really like that about this book because the author does include a lot of details, but I never felt like the story was weighed down by it all.

Overall, Amy Inspired is an interesting book and a different book. Again, some readers may find some of the material a bit questionable and this book is meant for mature readers. My feeling about the questionable material is that it is real and Amy is as flawed as the rest of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy Inspired.